Tuesday 28 January 2020

Solo Game

Keeping up my promise to have more games in 2020, last weekend I decided to set the table and have a solo game using my Vaubarians and Astrovians.
And I decided to just play and enjoy, with no thought to doing a full write up. So I just took a few pics of the layout.









It was a very enjoyable 3 hours, and I may rerun the affair and write it up fully in the future.
But, for now, dear reader, perhaps you might consider what you might have done as either of the commanders...

This coming weekend, I'm heading to York for the Vapnartak Show, and have plans to catch up with a few old pals. 
I've got a very thin purchase list which, without exercising some constraint, might lead to trouble. Trouble of the impulse purchase kind!
Hope to see some of you there...




13 comments:

  1. Great looking game, great setting, sometimes a few units is just enough.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. There's nothing like lining up a few units in a tabletop setting and having a little game. And sometimes the little games can be really intriguing. Best regards. Phil

      Delete
  2. Great looking table and troops. I’d be interested in an AAR and teaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Next time I play it through I will write it up properly and do a full report, with photos, map and all the usual paraphernalia of a good AAR. Cheers. Phil

      Delete
  3. Pretty looking game withe just enough kit to scratch your chin with for a while. Enjoy the show & catching up your pals.
    Best wishes for 2020,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. All the best for 2020 to you too. Have a great year! Phil

      Delete
  4. As always very nice looking Phil and you convey the wonderful sense of well being that can be got from a well presented, even small, 18th Century wargame. Maybe for those of us who would like to emulate your style you could make available a PDF of your rules/techniques for the solo decision making part of your games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faced with the choice of whether to paint figures and play games, or create PDFs, well it's a bit of a no-brainer really Chris. In reality, there's not much to tell. I just play the game by making moves, then walking round to the other side of the table and making moves as if I was the other commander. I do put some random elements into scenarios on occasion, such as fresh troop arrival times and positions, and that sort of thing, but in this case it was simply about enjoying the game from both sides. Best regards. Phil

      Delete
    2. Thanks Phil. Relaxed organisation and rules in the same style as the whole atmosphere!

      Delete
    3. Solo play with no rule book? My mind is boggled. Epiphany to follow. Wow. Thanks so much for freeing me from the shackles of convention. Solo play has taken on new life for me.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Chasseur. Good to see you here. Best regards. Phil

      Delete
  6. Always a joy to see you collection on the table!

    ReplyDelete