Saturday 19 February 2022

Regiment Wittgenstein

I have been painting, I promise, and along with a few vignette pieces, I have added this latest regiment to the 1704 Wars of the Vaubarian Succession (WVS) project.

These are the fictional Astrovian IR4 Wittgenstein... whose colonel is a beery swine who is just as sloshed as Schlegel (for the Monty Python fans - if you know, you know).

Anyway, here they are:


Figures are from Front Rank. Flags are hand painted on foil.

Other news:

I have been enjoying drawing inspiration from others' blogs, and one or two forums, plus engaging in email correspondence and the odd phone call with a few fellows. It all keeps us a little bit more sane than we otherwise might become... I think!

I came across a new blog that I recommend highly. It is worth taking the time to read - it's well written, witty, with some thought-provoking content. It's called My Year With Charles (by the Dog Who Drinks Paint), for reasons that become apparent. I suggest getting a cup of coffee, settling down, and going back to his starting post which makes some interesting points.

My Year With Charles

I have added the blog to my links on the right.

I have also enjoyed Der Alte Fritz's 54mm ancients project beginning to really take off, and Tidders' Sedan chair race was excellent. In addition, it was good to see that Graham C (Crann Tara/ Scotia Albion) will be exhibiting his Culloden game at Partizan. His reminiscences of the many years on the show circuit almost bought a tear to the eye. Well done Graham.

Cheers for now...


17 comments:

  1. A lovely addition to your project, the flags are quite superb, set the unit of really well. Now I am off to check out the blog you recommend, I may be some time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I think the flags are so important in this project. Glad you like them.
      Phil

      Delete
  2. Another fine regiment for the Astrovian army :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine looking regiment, Phil! The flags are striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Jonathan. I do enjoy painting the flags... they don't take as long as they look like they would, once you've got a method.
      Phil

      Delete
  4. Phil,
    Lovely regiment you bring out the best in these figures. Looking back in my blog certainly brought a tear to my eye 😳 and just the thought of how many figures I’ve painted almost made me faint! Culloden will be ( I hope ) a good swan song. I can’t find the blog you mention any chance of a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Graham.
      The link to the blog I mentioned is in the text, and also on the right hand side in my links. It's called "A year with Charles".
      Phil

      Delete
  5. These chaps could be "proper" Austrians, you know! Good to see you back in the groove. My own blog has gone uncharacteristically quiet for a couple of weeks as I have had my Franco-Prussian War rules head on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx John. You're right, they could be 'proper' Austrians... But they're happy being fictitious, for now!
      Good luck with the FPW rules!
      Phil

      Delete
  6. Lovely unit. Do they have a regimental philosopher as well as chaplain? He could lead the singing on the march…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Alan. Quite a few of the Astrovian units have psychologists and philosophers for colonels names! IR2 are Schrodinger's Regt, of course. I hadn't thought of a regimental philosopher, but... good idea!
      Phil

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your kind words Phil. I was wondering where my sudden surge in page views had come from. Little did I know that I had received the endorsement of a true wargaming celebrity! The encouragement is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome Mr Dog. Not sure about 'wargaming celebrity' though!! Keep up the good work on your blog. You make some great points, and I'm following with interest. Best regards. Phil.

      Delete
  8. Another great looking unit, Phil, Front Rank figures for this period (and the Wars of the Roses) paint up so well. Cheers, Rohan.

    ReplyDelete