Monday 29 January 2024

January Digest

One of my objectives this year is to post more on the blog, so an end of month review, or Digest, is in order...

January Production:

It has been a very good month.

Painting totals are up on last year's average (24 Janissaries, Ottoman command, plus basing of all the Cossacks) = c35 points. Plus I am working on a fresh unit too although this will only be added to the total when finished in a few days time and so counts towards the February painting points.

Additions to the ranks in January:

Cossacks - by Dave Woodward, commander's flag by Mark Allen. The addition of unit flags, lances and pennants, and the basing is worthy of a few painting points... I am awarding myself 6 in total for this as it did take a full week of painting sessions.


Janissaries. Flag by Mark, figure painting by myself.



Ottoman command. Flag again by Mark, figure painting by yours truly.


January gaming:

Last weekend I had the first game of the year when Andy Moran visited with his Haut-Dijon (Burgundian-ish) army for a game of Billhooks. My Bavetta condottiere army performed better this time, although we agreed that it was still a close win for Andy whose Haut-Dijon army remains undefeated!

The game ebbed and flowed, in true Billhooks style, and provided some nail-biting moments, and some real hilarity too (it was the Haut-Dijon artillery that exploded this time!!). Very 'bloody', fun and fast-paced. An enjoyable day all round.






The eagle-eyed might spot the inclusion of what the gang of Old Berks (Andy, Steve and John) have started to call "Olley-spacers". I basically really dislike empty gaps on movement trays, and perhaps it's my wargaming OCD, but decided to have spare 'spacer bases' to place in such gaps when casualties are removed. I could add casualty figures, I suppose, but for now having a box of spare, terrained and flocked, bases just helps with 'the look of the thing'. Tidiness is a virtue even in early renaissance Italy you know!

January thoughts and ramblings:

In addition to the painting and gaming, this month I have also managed to get my Eastern Renaissance project journal up to date. This includes snaps of each unit as I finish it, plus plans for the development of the project, a painting schedule to keep me on track, reference materials I gather as I go along, including images off the net, and plans for future games and scenarios. I have also got a plan marked out for a small demo game at Partizan in May. I decided to give the project an outing at this early stage, simply because it's a marker for how the project is progressing that even after only a few months I might have something worthy to show.

This has thrown into sharp focus the challenges of putting on a small game, on a 6x4. It has also highlighted some of the positives that come from planning such a small game for display.

In general terms, I do think it's a good exercise to plan for a 6x4 table, regardless of how large the project may become in the future anyway. There's a tendency amongst the historical fraternity to think that all games have to be 'huge' affairs to be in some way 'worthy'. I've noticed this a lot, browsing around online. Yes, we all love the vision of a sculpted 16plus x 6 table (with several tables for reserves too!). However, the lowly 6x4 has plenty to offer, and like a short letter or a short speech, requires a laser-like focus on the effectiveness of the production. I think it was Churchill who said, "If I'd had more time, I would have written a shorter letter", hinting at the extra efficiency and effectiveness required with the smaller/shorter version. And so, I suggest, for a 6x4 wargame.

Just to qualify, here I am talking about 28mm 'rank and flank' type games. the humble 6x4 is often seen with 15mm figures (and smaller), or skirmish games in the larger scales. That stands to reason. But for 28mm 'standard' forces it's often overlooked as a significant waypoint in a project development.

The 6x4 has, of course, in some quarters become the norm... WAB, Billhooks, and others are notable here. In the world of fantasy, 6x4 also seems to be the standard. Perhaps it's in Pike & Shot and Horse & Musket gaming that the convention is ever towards 'biggism'. And yet, so many scenarios and possibilities exist for challenging and enjoyable games at this level, even with the P&S and H&M periods. So for those who, for whatever reason, are limited to a 6x4 table, don't despair. There's still much to be gained from a brigade or two of infantry and some cavalry and artillery support taking on the same numbers and having a great game.

Years ago, I chatted at length with Graham Cummings (Scotia Albion blog - get well soon Graham), and Lee Maxwell (sadly passed far too young) about having an initial target of 9:4:2 for their Horse and Musket armies - 9 Infantry units, 4 cavalry units, and 2 guns (or batteries). Simple. 

Steve Gill and I have regularly discussed reducing this further to our "6-a-side" template. More of which in a future post perhaps.

The message is clear, plan to your limitations... it may reveal your strengths. 



6 comments:

  1. That's fine output for the month. Lovely figures, well presented.

    Your thoughts on games are interesting. I've never really been able to plan to something like 9:4:2. The megalomaniac kicks in and now I have lots of C18th stuff and still a huge lead pile...and armies I can never play with at home... Unless I ponder your 6x4 ideas... We shall see.

    Hopefully see you and the game at Partizan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start to the new year, fine progress made. Interesting points made on games etc, at this moment in time 6x4 is the table size I have and have planned all my project around this size, variation on the 9:4:2, I also find this helps keep me focussed and not too much wandering of project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyable and thoughtful post. I am interested in the six aspect.
    Figures and plans excellent.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Where never was heard
    a discouraging word"
    Thanks for the words about 6x4 as that's what my room will take most of the time.
    It's why I often use rules like Sharp Practice as the numbers work. The megalomania can then cover a range of periods or theatres.
    It does mean my larger forces like the Napoleonics are largely languishing in their boxes as there isn't room, and rules I'd like to play like General d'Armee and Valour and Fortitude remain unopened.
    The plethora of tiny games on 2x2 or 3x3 mean that when you use the whole 6x4 it feels bigger.
    I look forward to further thoughts on "what fits" with the 6x4 in terms of numbers and size of units plus rules. Certainly the classics Charge and The Wargame have smaller actions with largish units.
    As always, terrific pictures and gorgeous standards. Last night I had the privilege of dedicating a new standard for the Mona House Detachment - 4th Batt, Yorkshire Regt* - HSYACF. One of the first with the King's crown. [All the rank slides with crowns are in the process of being changed from Queen's crown to King's crown too. Imagine having to paint that on your figures!]
    all the best as always,
    Stephen
    * The Yorkshire regt has the "Ca Ira" battle honour though not on an ACF standard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice overview of your month with some lovely units painted there:). Nice to see a modest sized table planned for Partizan, as the massive tables, whilst spectacular, as beyond the vast majority of gamers and dare I say it clubs. 6' x 4' fits nicely into most homes and gives a good game, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Billhooks game Phil and reassuring that Andy's guns are not indestructible!

    ReplyDelete