Monday 20 May 2024

If Carlsberg did wargames shows... Partizan

They've been doing it for 38 years now... and it just keeps getting better each time.

Laurence Baldwin and Richard "Tricks" Tyndall have excelled yet again in creating a phenomenal show, in terms of organisation, attention to every detail, and professionalism in all their dealings with gamers and traders. Big shout out to them.

It was a great weekend; exhausting, exhilarating, and thoroughly enjoyable.

My game was small, as mentioned in a previous post, being merely the first steppe (!!) in the Eastern Renaissance project.
Looking around the hall, I was in awe of the massively impressive tables being set out... the quality of scenery just beggars belief.
However, with this game I wanted to make the point that not all demo games have to be huge affairs. I am in awe of the work that goes into the mega games we see at shows, where an army of people seem to be able to put such massive battles onto the tabletop. But, for the 'average Mr Wargamer,' such games are beyond wildest dreams. However, something more modest can be equally attractive and enjoyable to create.

Throughout the day, I was of course tied to my own table so unable to take a wander round and look at the other games in detail, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the blog posts and videos that report on the show in the coming days.  

Meantime, here are a few photos of my own efforts. I didn't get to play the game much, being engaged in conversations with old friends and interested visitors to the table all day. But that is what it is about for me, and it was great to make acquaintance with so many blog readers. So thank you for popping by for a chat.

Over to the pictures:





















One thing that did seem to be of additional interest for visitors to the table was my Project Journal which I left open for people to browse through at leisure. It charts the development of the game, showing each unit as it was painted, and other scraps of ephemera.



Being surrounded by so many amazing tables, I didn't expect to win any prizes, and that has never been my reason for putting on games anyway, so I was shocked and delighted in equal measure when the judges, led by Henry Hyde, along with organiser Laurence Baldwin, came up to me around 3pm and presented the Best Demo Game award.


To all who stopped by at the table, thank you. Apologies to the many who I noticed having a peep at the game but who I didn't manage to chat to. And apologies to all the other tables I didn't get to visit. As I mentioned, I didn't get away from the table at all during the day, but Lisa's presence as chief of moral support, ensured I was fed and watered at regular intervals. As more than one kind blog reader pointed out, I think I owe her a holiday!!


34 comments:

  1. A lovely game! Congratulations on the award too! You were always busy as I passed by and on a fight time schedule it just never meshed for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David. It was certainly a full-on show. There was a very positive vibe about the whole day. Will catch up next time. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  2. Congrats. Well deserved award. Small but perfectly formed. The game, that is.

    Nice to catch up with you, albeit briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. As always, great to see you, and chat briefly. Being 'small and perfectly formed' is something I aspire to. So far, the first part of the equation has worked, in one dimension at least! See you again soon. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  3. Well done, Phil! And I can certainly see why your game received the award. Great stuff!

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stokes. You really must get over from the States sometime for a Partizan show... the whole day was inspirational. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  4. Superb looking game Phil and the award was well deserved, the setting, the figures the whole thing looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Donnie. There were lots of really great games on offer and all had something to see and learn from I believe. There were some huge affairs being played out, and so many varied periods being shown. I'm glad I was able to contribute to the day. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  5. Well done Phil and well deserved on the award. Shame you missed all the wonderful games at the show - there is already an excellent show reel out by Storm of Steel https://youtu.be/7fq1vUpguVg?si=K_0EqgoFynfdhFzw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. That's a great video showreel, and there are more appearing everyday. It's a great hobby!!! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Much appreciated. Phil

      Delete
  7. Excellent looking game and a great big huzzah for the award.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Alan. You must make the long trip south to Partizan one year. It's worth it. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  8. Simply splendid. I'm sorry I was unable to attend this year but I had other responsibilities. Like you I shall do a virtual tour.
    Congratulations on the award and even more on all the pleasing comments and interest you had that day.
    I was rather hoping the Turks got a drubbing but it seems you were, quite rightly, more engaged with those who came to view.
    Sharing the journal was a lovely touch.
    It always seems to me quite the sacrifice to put something on and so not be able to see what everyone else is doing.
    all the best,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. In the end, I only played a few moves, but the Ottomans would have struggled to fully take the village I think. They would have probably withdrawn the precious Janissaries to fight another day! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  9. Well done on the award Phil and it was good to have the chance ot have a brief chat with you about your game and the ethos behind it. I missed the Project Journal, which I'm sure I would have enjoyed. And of course well done to Lisa for providing much needed support on a very hot and busy show day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Steve. Good to meet you on the day and have a chat. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  10. Fantastic looking game, very colourful looking units.
    A prize well deserved.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Willz. Good luck in your upcoming siege game. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  11. Well done on the best demo trophy Phil…
    Proving quite nicely that you don’t need acres of terrain and thousands of figures to catch people’s attention.
    I popped by and even took some pictures… You were swamped by admiring fans at the time 😁.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I did see you briefly at the table, amongst the gathering throng! When I turned round to engage, you'd slipped away like Jagers into a wood!! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  12. Didn't make Partizan - wasn't in the mood on the day.
    Perhaps the small achievable nature is what won the award?
    The progress journal is a nice touch; mine are all rather scrappy notes and doodles!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. I think you're right about the 'accessibility' of the game... many people aired that sentiment which was very gratifying as that is the point I wanted to make with it. As regards journals, scrappy notes and doodles are often the most fascinating! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  13. Great to see you at the show, Phil, and I was delighted to have a vote in the award you received, which was thoroughly deserved. A combination of the arresting nature of the game that looked deceptively simple, but in which the craftsmanship and attention to detail were second to none. I and my fellow judges described it as "cinematic" and thought-provoking. In addition, you were the perfect game host, spending the entire day addressing the public, rather than just indulging in the game (sadly, still something one sees all too often). And the extra info and materials were spot on, including that wonderful journal. Well done, chum, and thanks for staging such a delightful game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Henry. It was great to see you too. I'm glad you and the judging team "got it" (as I knew you would). The cinematic, "Olley-wood" version is exactly what I wanted to portray. Thanks for taking the time to chat on what was a busy day for you (no idea how you get round all the tables). See you again at the next one! best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  14. Lovely to see this game Phil>
    There's a few pictures I took over on my blog https://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2024/05/partizan-2024-phil-olley-special.html

    Maybe next time I'll actually get to say hello!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom. Such a kind blog post. Much appreciated. Next time, you MUST introduce yourself. Phil

      Delete
  15. Lovely to see the excellent photos of such a splendid game Phil and congratulations on the win by showing your usual amazing high standards which are so inspiring. Did you paint the lovely backdrop yourself? Good luck in making the other dimension smaller!! Transport to Partizan is always too difficult for me unfortunately. Cheers Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. The backdrop was painted by me... oils on canvas. I wanted a bold, almost cartoon-ish, very simple 'look' to it for this game. The aim was to give depth to the small table and expand the overall perspective of the 'viewer' to set the game in the vastness of the region being depicted. Thanks for your interest and support. Best regards. Phil

      Delete
    2. You've achieved that aim really well, Phil, it looks great

      Delete