Monday, 13 July 2026

The Full Capriccio

Quite some time ago, I posted the first few pictures of my Never Mind The Billhooks (NMTB) Italian Wars force from the fictional Grand Duchy of Capriccio, proclaiming at the time that I just needed to do one more Swiss pike unit to complete the 'army' at around 120 points.

Well, at last, I recently completed that second Swiss unit:




They carry the flags of Uri and Solothurn, along with the regular Swiss flag.

Here they are alongside their compatriots whose pike block carries the flags of Berne and Fribourg.


These are Warlord Games plastic landsknechts that I felt could easily be used as Swiss of the period, bearing in mind that by this stage they were no longer in the clothing and cantonal liveries so familiar from the earlier Burgundian Wars.

Having said that, for these units I did keep some sort of cantonal colour theme going with yellows and blacks, along with the all pervading Swiss red.

Of course, Warlord have now produced a specific set of plastic figures for the Swiss, but I am happy with my choice here.

And so, the basic NMTB Capriccio army is complete... for now...

A brief background to Capriccio is included on the roster sheet.


Their opponents from the Duchy of Bruschetta are currently 'in progress'.

Penitenziagite! Penitenziagite!

One little accompaniment to the array is Cardinal Leo, Bishop of Capriccio, with his faithful companion, Adso. These are Perry Miniatures.

You'll note that the mounted Cardinal is pointing... presumably, that's a Cardinal Point. Groan...

That's all for now folks... Thanks to all who support the madness with your comments and visits.



11 comments:

  1. Lovely Pike, I like staring into units like this. Enjoyed the fact sheet, very good. The Cardinal ( groan πŸ˜€) figures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic array of figures. That is a beautiful illuminated roster sheet. As an opponent I would offer you some simple reward for bringing such additional pageantry to the game. Looking forward to seeing your work on Bruschetta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Phil.
    Yes, Swiss were almost identical to Landesknechts in the 1500s. They were distinguished by less extravagant slashing and colours but mostly by the use of feathers and longer swords; even this wasn't universal apart from the feathers (ostrich especially) - so much so the Landesknechts called them "feather johnnies". They preferred a longer sword than the katzbalger.
    Interestingly, the double handed sword was a Swiss / south German preference over the halbard.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fine clump of Swiss pikemen! To which Cardinal Point is he singling out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done Phill, they look great. Cracking looking army, nice parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid Swiss and a delightful cardinal!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look terrific and should avoid spoiling it by campaigning and battles - stick to parades, it may be safer. As for the Cardinal point, 'that would be an ecumenical matter' - well, later in Swiss history it would.
    I look forward to their next outing.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a splendid force on show there Phil, very nicely turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent addition. I really enjoyed the photos of them with the rest of the 'completed' army and the close-ups of the command stands, but was particularly taken with your 'cardinal point'! Laughed heartily, thanks.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely looking compact collection Phil…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look forward to seeing these on the table, Phil. They look amazing! Andy M

    ReplyDelete