Sunday 2 January 2022

Looking ahead

I trust you had a good Christmas and New Year and are suitably rested and buoyed up for the months ahead with plenty of plans and ideas that make this hobby of ours so rich.

I see a lot of people posting their plans with tongue in cheek, or an air of defeatism, self-deprecation, or self-sabotage before the year starts... 

Come on chaps; stuff upper lip and all that. Defeatism and lack of belief did not defend Rourkes' drift, or charge the guns at Balaclava, or defend Hougoumont, or ... well, you get the idea.

So, for me, looking ahead:

I have decided to focus on getting one project 'finished' in 2022... namely the Wars of the Vaubarian campaign (WVS, c 1704).

My main focus will be the few remaining units, plus vignettes, and other supporting elements, wagons and so on. This amounts to around 180 'painting points' but of course could grow arms and legs!

The figure painting is only a part of what will constitute 'finished' and I plan to finally type up the tabletop rules for this project into a format where they may be made available, if anyone might be interested. Plus I would like to do some games to illustrate the rules.

So, that's my 2022. There is a clear goal for me, plus room for some flexibility to possibly go down some additional avenues as the opportunities arise... not least, maybe a WAB army, or whatever takes my fancy (fairly inevitable I think, and that's what the hobby is about for me).

So, whatever you have planned for the months ahead, I hope you have a prosperous year and enjoy your hobby. Because, in the end, that's all there is to it...

Best wishes for 2022.

Phil


17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil good luck with your plans, especially on putting the rules together and getting some play test games in.

    Note, some of your text above appears to have become white text on a white background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Norm... you were quick off the mark in commenting! I was still editing and updating the post. Well done!!
      Best regards.
      Phil

      Delete
  3. Will be good to see some more of your Vaubarian vignettes etc, looking forward to that, and the rules will certainly be of interest. All the best for 2022, here's to it being a good year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnie. Here's to a great year ahead!
      Phil

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year. I like the straightforward nature of your plan with space and permission to follow new side paths that open up. My plan apart from keeping up to date reading your posts is firmly set at the achievable.
    The aim is to start the year with some modest scenery plans that keep getting pushed to the back of the queue as figures usually have priority. Second to paint two things from the lead mountain before giving myself leave to buy one new one. Three to tidy up or tick off those periods for which I have less than 20 painting points to go in terms of figures owned. Four, enjoy it!
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stephen. Like your outline plan... sounds very disciplined!
      Enjoy it, indeed! Sometimes forgotten when there's a whole load of painting to do!
      Phil

      Delete
  5. A happy New Year to you and yours Phil.
    I tend not to make plans, I just go with the flow and hope to finish various things as the inspiration takes me.
    Hopefully we may be able to meet up this year at the Cotswolds gaming day.
    Thanks for your fantastic and inspirational posts on your blog.

    Stay safe and happy gaming,
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Willz. Hope you continue to inspire with your collection too.
      Best regards
      Phil

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a very good plan and I can recommend your Vaubarian games from personal experience. It would be great to see you put on another one at this year's Cotswold Wargaming Day, Phil. Happy New Year
    Chris
    http://notjustoldschool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. And happy New Year to you too.
      Best regards.
      Phil

      Delete
  7. I am sticking to vague aspirations, too many unknown unknowns for me! Best of luck in 2022 in meeting your plans head on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your aspirations David... I'm sure they will soon turn into inspirations for others to enjoy too.
      All the best.
      Phil

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Phil. Focus on one project - something to be admired in others when unable to maintain such discipline for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Paul. I'm not as perfect as many think!!! Lol! Best regards
      Phil

      Delete
  9. Great that you set goals Phil. I have a lot of general things on the go and just 'go with the flow baby'! It's the structured procrastination approach that I love so much :)
    (I note that you have allowed for some flexibility too; I'm all in favour).
    I look forward to viewing and reading of developments with your Vaubarian campaign (and other stuff!).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete