Wednesday 13 December 2023

First Steppes

 A few snaps of the growing Eastern Renaissance project.

Muscovite commander:



Figures are from The Assault Group (TAG). Really enjoyed painting these chaps. Flag is by Mark Allen. 

Next up - Tatars:





These are from the Fireforge Mongol plastics box. I decided to paint them in dull brown clothing to match my perception of Tatars, largely formed by watching the film "By Fire and Sword" many years ago. 

Sometimes it's nice to just set up a few scenes on the tabletop, without necessarily having a game... or at least, that's what I like to do...

Here, Cossacks and Streltsi are fending off a Tatar attack on a small settlement on Muscovy's southern border.


Whilst I don't yet have sufficient for a game, I am working to remedy that and early in the new year I will begin to play some games with this collection. The large numbers of cavalry will make for some interesting scenarios.

That's all for now folks! Hope everyone is enjoying the 'wind down' to the festivities and the prospect of some hobby time.



18 comments:

  1. Excellent work, nice contrast between the Russians and the Tartars. Enjoy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will. It makes the painting varied to have such different troop types too, so that helps! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Phil and loved the title of the post:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve... glad my awful pun wasn't missed! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Phil, the flag really makes the command stand pop.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Willz. Mark has a knack for producing works of art. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  4. Lovely and the cavalry round bases look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Norm. I did wrestle with the basing idea for Tatars, but am glad I settled on the round ones. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous units and bases, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super work all round, they look great and Mark's flag really sets off that lovely command stand. I like the use of drabber colours for the Tatars, they look a right evil looking mob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Donnie... the evil Tatars certainly look like it to me too! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  7. Great to see this project growing. Your Tartars look so business like while mine are full of colour and I like those too. It's a period that gives a lot of freedom. These horsemen always reminds me of the long "flock of cranes" passage in Matthew Arnold's poem "Sohrab and Rustam" - very atmospheric.
    Stphen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Stephen. It's hard to establish how Tatars looked in the period, and I have seen many alternatives. I suspect that there were many different versions that could work. I just like the menacing, grubby look! Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  8. A cracking start to this project Phil…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Aly. I am certainly enjoying it, and it's got off to a gallop! The variety of troop types makes it less onerous from a painting point of view. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete
  9. Intrigued which rules you would engage with when you get to that stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Probably going to go with my own adaptations to the old 1644 rules with which I am familiar having played a lot over the years. Best rgds. Phil

      Delete